My little Brooklynn celebrated her third birthday last week! Instead of the usual crappy birthday food and processed cake mixes, I wanted to ring in her third year in a healthier way! What was on the menu? Well, I'm glad you asked ;)
We started out with some lemon basil chicken & zoodles!
Have you ever tried zucchini pasta before?! Before this I'd only ever had zucchini lasagna (which is delicious, by the way). I'd been itching to try some zucchini spaghetti but first...I needed my vegetti: aka, vegetable spiralizer. You can buy one here. They're super easy to use and the result is awesome! I can't wait to use my vegetti on everything!
First I whipped up the chicken:
- 1 pound chicken breasts (2-3 chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Whisk marinade ingredients together and add to chicken. Marinate chicken for 4 hours up to overnight, occasionally flipping bag over.
- Proceed to grill chicken or indoors by heating 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes or until well browned on one side. Flip chicken over, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (time will depend on chicken thickness). Remove to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- I can only imagine how delicious this would be in salads, wraps, sandwiches, pitas, etc. The possibilities are endless!
*for even better results & more tender chicken, try this: Place chicken inside a freezer bag and pound chicken thin with a meat mallet. (If you don't have a meat mallet, you can use the side of a can), then add seasonings & marinate (in the fridge) for four hours up to overnight.
Next you're going to want to sauté your zoodles with a little olive oil, garlic, and basil. Cook just until tender, otherwise they may get too soggy.
Top your zoodle pasta with your chicken and enjoy! **this meal was a HIT with all of our guests...the chicken flew off the pan!
And now for dessert! I had been craving watermelon for a while, so I bought a big one to share. Oh it was so delicious, sweet, and juicy! I also mixed in some red food coloring with low fat cool whip as a simple topping for the cupcakes, served alongside a little ice cream-- a decent blend of naughty & nice foods. The cupcakes were super moist and everyone seemed to enjoy them, despite the healthier ingredient list!
Here's the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/09/08/100-calorie-chocolate-cake/